Some sketchbook drawings

Monday, September 6, 2010

Media and Materials: Class #1

I left class number one of Media and Materials feeling that this class is going to be an engaging, exciting experience and a lot of hard work.
After introductions we began with cooperative learning and were assigned jobs for class.  I am the note keeper (for now.)  Having an inspired moment, assigning jobs is something I am going to attempt in the classroom next week when I begin my art classes at my day job.  Having taught art to young children before, I know how important classroom management is and I have never before assigned jobs to my students.  I want implement this from the very beginning and try to stick with it.  I am especially hopeful for students actually participating in maintaining an orderly room and cleaning up after themselves.
When we discussed materials we were hoping to work with in class, we also talked about having one dreaded material.  Aileen brought up googly eyes, mentioning she was never a fan until seeing Roadkill, a work by Simryn Gill:

When she said googly eyes was her least favorite material, one word popped up in my mind--glitter.  I do not think I am alone when I declare my extreme dislike for projects in which children work with glitter.  I am currently on the hunt for what I deem may be a worthwhle use of the material, possibly in a contemporary artwork.  With glitter comes glam, and I am interested to see where my glitter quest may take me.
I am also new to blogging, I have begun with the bare minimum and plan to expand and eleborate as much as possible as soon as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah those Simryn Gill pieces were pretty awesome. As far as glitter, it just gets all over the place. It's never really used in the right way, although I'm not exactly sure if there IS a right way to use glitter. But it's pretty much about spreading a bunch of glue and then just throwing the glitter down on it. It's used because 1. it's easy and you need easy things for young kids and 2. it's bright and shiny, and kids like that too. So yeah figure out how glitter can be used and what it can be used for.

    ReplyDelete