Some sketchbook drawings

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Class #2

Text and more text.....
I am really enjoying our current exploration of text.  My own artwork has always steered clear of using text as I had always wanted to express myself with images, not words.  Now, in Media and Materials class,  I find the practice to be quite freeing.  Part of it has to do with the excitement of working in a different way than I am accustomed.  I am not trying so hard to control things and working with exploring the possibilities.
I have also gained more of an appreciation for artists who work with text.  Maira Kalman is an artist who's work I've always enjoyed but I had not looked at her artwork specifically in regard to text.  Some of her work was included in a book passed around in class.  This renewed my interest in her work and how she uses text.
She has a blog as part of NY Times website.  You can even see examples where she sews her drawings and writing.
Maira Kalman
My hunt continues in the realms of text as does my quest for a better looking blog.  I have not yet mastered getting the images in place, so for the moment, for better or worse--I'm all about text.

No comments:

Post a Comment